Is there a community product maintaining Windows support?

Jakob Bohm jb-bindusers at wisemo.com
Thu Feb 17 18:05:41 UTC 2022

On 2022-02-17 18:01, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 17.02.22 um 17:36 schrieb Jakob Bohm via bind-users:
>> This is truly tragic, and quite counterproductive action by ISC.
> no, it's just stop wasting time for things not really used in the real
> production world
>> Messing about with docker virtualization inside an already virtual
>> machine seems like a recipe for disaster
> nobody said that
>
> when you already have a virtualization infracstructure the far better
> question is why you did install named on a windows guest to begin with
Because it is leased VMs at commercial cloud providers,
which implies an economic benefit to reuse a single VM
for multiple daemons.
> BTW: docker is *not* virtualization and i would *always* install any
> containers inside virtual machines because on production hardware the
> only thing which belongs to bare-metal is the hypversior (yes, there
> are *very few* expections, contgainers are non of them)
To me, containers are a simplified virtualization technology
that shares the kernel and kernel state, virtualizing only
the user space.  That it is marketed with contrary words
means nothing.
> why? because there is redundancy, hot migration, backup-infrastructure
> and so on - the only usecase for containers is lightweight isolation
> for the few cases a systemd-unit with proper namespaces and cgroups
> isn't enough
So back to Linux-exclusive concepts, indicating this is
all about using the Linux build with a Linux-on-windows layer,

Hence my preference to reverse the order and go for a pure (and cheaper)
Linux VM.

Enjoy

Jakob