Is there a community product maintaining Windows support?

Jakob Bohm jb-bindusers at wisemo.com
Thu Feb 17 12:42:57 UTC 2022

Fortunately (or unfortunately), the existing port of the 9.16.x bind
code to Windows is built with Microsoft tools (MSVC2019) and contains
its own handling of differences between Windows and Unix.

If a maintainer stepped up to maintain the source for a port, I could
compile it locally for our own systems, as I happen to also be a
software developer using bind to support that activity.

I know that there is a project that builds a 3rd party installer for the
Windows port (I currently use the simple upstream install utility that
is included in the ISC binary download), and I was hoping that maybe
someone from that installer project could extend it to also maintain the
port itself.

On 2022-02-11 18:02, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> I just became a maintainer on the apcupsd project.
>
> I don't know if bind for windows is built like apcupsd is, by using
> mingw32 but unfortunately there's problems with the mingw32 project
> these days, it's gone through a lot of transitions.
>
> Getting a working build environment for apcupsd at least, requires
> using pretty old versions of mingw.
>
> No doubt I'm going to be jumped on for saying so but I know for
> apcupsd I've got a -lot- of work to do to get it up to speed.
>
> There are some people out there who have built their own mingw32/mingw64
> binaries that are separate from the ones "officially" distributed which
> might be an avenue.  My guess the ISC developer who was spearheading
> this port moved on to other things and ISC can't find someone who
> wants to get involved in this and I can understand why.
>
> There is an interesting article on this problem here:
>
> https://increment.com/open-source/the-rise-of-few-maintainer-projects/
>
> I would ask you this Jakob - would you trust a windows binary of
> bind that you compiled?
>
> I've got years of history participating on the apcupsd project. When
> I start submitting changes to it, the users of it have that trust
> automatically from that history.  They won't worry if they download a
> binary from sourceforge that I built that it's going to gun their
> system.  I'm a public figure in OSS besides that - people may like me
> or think I'm an asshole - but they know I'm a real person who has a
> rep. to maintain.  I've got a business, federal and state tax ID's,
> a published phone number, multiple domain names I've owned for years.
> I can't run and hide.
>
> You can probably review the bind mailing list and dig out less than
> 100 names of people who have been on it, regularly posting, for the last
> decade.
>
> If none of those people step up to create a fork - then the windows
> port  is effectively going to be dead I'm afraid.  Nobody is going to
> trust "some dude" with zero history who sets up on github and forks
> bind and posts a windows binary for downloading just because he says
> it's gold.
> Would you?  Trust a production system to that?
>
> OSS got it's start by making the CODE available, NOT BINARIES. Users
> like you were expected to be completely happy with the fact that the
> code was even there at all and it compiled.   You do your own building.
> Not knowing how to run a compiler is no excuse.  The Internet has tons
> of tutorials on it.
>
> You want a bind for windows - build it yourself.  That's the can-do
> attitude that OSS started with.  I remember the first time I ever
> downloaded an real OSS code and built it myself.  It was rzsz - zmodem
> code for windows.  Back in the BBS days, really.  That's the only way
> you got that binary.  It was a total gas and I was hooked.  Don't deny
> yourself the same pleasure.
>
> Ted

> [...]
Enjoy

Jakob