ipv6 adoption

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Wed Feb 16 15:50:58 UTC 2022

On 2/16/22 7:35 AM, Mark Tinka wrote:
> I was assuming Linux has something similar, where in userland, you have
> the option to install which train of BIND you want, regardless of OS
> version.

Most of the -- what I'll call -- binary distributions of Linux tend to
have a fairly small range of any given versions of software in the
repositories provided by the Linux distribution provider.

There is nothing that prevents you from sourcing other versions, binary
or compile it yourself, from other providers.  But some people are
unwilling to accept the risk.

> But thinking about the days when I ran SuSE Linux and OpenSUSE (up until
> 2007), I think I recall apps being tied to major/minor OS versions, when
> they used RPM as the package manager. It's been a while, so things may
> have since changed.

I'm used to seeing ~current, down level, and maybe bleeding level in the
beta / early adopters distro releases.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die