ipv6 adoption

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Wed Feb 16 14:35:47 UTC 2022

On 2/16/22 15:49, Reindl Harald wrote:

> not when you don't use 3rd party repos or build it at your own - the
> whole point of a stable distibution is to not have random
> major-upgrades of software
>
> and unless you have no very good reason you should either stay at the
> packages from your distribution or make a dist-upgrade
>
> otherwise you end in the chaos MacOS and Windows are when it comes to
> keep everything up-to-date and get security bugs fixed - linux
> distributions are backporting security fixes

We use FreeBSD for services, and regardless of major/minor OS version,
the FreeBSD ports (and packages) will always support the various trains
of the app. It's just a case of what you want to install.

I was assuming Linux has something similar, where in userland, you have
the option to install which train of BIND you want, regardless of OS
version.

But thinking about the days when I ran SuSE Linux and OpenSUSE (up until
2007), I think I recall apps being tied to major/minor OS versions, when
they used RPM as the package manager. It's been a while, so things may
have since changed.

Mark.