"make test" not working?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Wed Feb 2 12:06:50 UTC 2022

Am 02.02.22 um 08:23 schrieb Josef Moellers:
> On 01.02.22 17:54, Reindl Harald wrote:
>>

>> Am 01.02.22 um 15:28 schrieb Josef Moellers:
>>> Just for the record:
>>> Thanks, Ondřej, for pushing my nose onto the fact that the test
>>> should be run as a non-privileged user.
>>
>> really *nothing* should run as root, especially not building software
>> - doing so and even rpmbuild no longer can assure that something don't
>> break out of the buildroot
>
> In my case I run it on a private VM

irrelevant - basics are basics

> But you're right: if the source is unreliable, anything can happen.
> I was assuming the bind sources are reliable.

you are violating the principle of least privilege and that has absolute
*nothing* to do with reliable

stop that sort of argumentation instead admit that you learned some
absolute basics - the only error on binds sources is that they donÄt
refuse to build as root without a special flag like courier-mta does for
decades

a simple typo on *your side* can make the diffren between terrible
accidents and a "permission denied" error pointing you to your mistake

mistakes happen, errors happen, bugs happen
all the time, eveywhere

>> the "make install" in a rpmbuild simply fails when it tries touch
>> touch /usr and that's one more reason never type "sudo make install"
>> but package everything
>
> Yes ... that's what I'm about to do ... packaging bind

https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/1ekd5w/why_is_it_dangerous_to_compilebuild_packages_as/

!!!!!!

It's not just malicious individuals you have to worry about. There can
also be bugs in the build system

!!!!!!

https://serverfault.com/questions/10027/why-is-it-bad-to-build-rpms-as-root