BIND 9.16.25 "file descriptor exceeds limit" messages

Petr Špaček pspacek at isc.org
Tue Feb 1 15:51:57 UTC 2022

On 01. 02. 22 15:43, Anand Buddhdev wrote:
> On 01/02/2022 15:33, Petr Špaček wrote:
>
> Hi Petr,
>
>> As you correctly noticed, the log message "adjusted limit on open
>> files from 4096 to 1048576" already shows that BIND adjusted OS-level
>> file descriptor limit.
>>
>> The only way out is what Tony wrote in another thread: Add "-S
>> <number>" parameter to bump the built-in limit of 21000 FDs. This is
>> BIND's limit as opposed to OS limit, so systemd-level settings cannot
>> raise it.
>
> Thanks. I will try this out. The option does come with a warning though.
>
>> ... or migrate to 9.18.0 which does not have this built-in limit anymore.
>
> I have packages ready. But I don't feel comfortable deploying this
> version in production. When 9.16 came out, it was branded as "stable"
> but it took several updates before it actually worked reliably for us.
> Version 9.18 has a lot of new code, and I am sure several things will be
> glitchy, so I will wait a while and see how it develops before
> considering it for any production servers here.

That's understandable. We can only hope that not everyone will delay
upgrading :-)

On a more serious note, we have significantly expanded load testing with
UDP traffic during the 9.17 development cycle, so hopefully, 9.18.0 has
fewer rough edges than 9.16.0 had.

I apologize for that bad experience. Since then, we have learned our
lesson and have been working on test improvements.

--
Petr Špaček