BIND 9.16.25 "file descriptor exceeds limit" messages

Anand Buddhdev anandb at ripe.net
Tue Feb 1 14:43:29 UTC 2022

On 01/02/2022 15:33, Petr Špaček wrote:

Hi Petr,

> As you correctly noticed, the log message "adjusted limit on open files
> from 4096 to 1048576" already shows that BIND adjusted OS-level file
> descriptor limit.
>
> The only way out is what Tony wrote in another thread: Add "-S <number>"
> parameter to bump the built-in limit of 21000 FDs. This is BIND's limit
> as opposed to OS limit, so systemd-level settings cannot raise it.

Thanks. I will try this out. The option does come with a warning though.

> ... or migrate to 9.18.0 which does not have this built-in limit anymore.

I have packages ready. But I don't feel comfortable deploying this
version in production. When 9.16 came out, it was branded as "stable"
but it took several updates before it actually worked reliably for us.
Version 9.18 has a lot of new code, and I am sure several things will be
glitchy, so I will wait a while and see how it develops before
considering it for any production servers here.

Regards,
Anand