RFC7344 (was: Funky Key Tag in AWS Route53 (2))

bind at raf.org bind at raf.org
Sat Dec 31 00:32:40 UTC 2022

On Fri, Dec 30, 2022 at 12:39:30PM +0100, Peter <pmc at citylink.dinoex.sub.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 29, 2022 at 03:43:35PM -0500, Timothe Litt wrote:
>
> ! So much like DNSSEC itself, the technology is there, but the will to use it
> ! everywhere it's needed is not.
>
> Timothy, thank You for the update. I agree to Your viewpoints, and we
> have seen mostly the same with IPv6. Apparently it needs serious pain to
> move something in technology that is mostly invisible to the common
> user. (OTOH we can see new collaboration tools or javascript
> frameworks every day.)
>
> PMc

The only hope is for the customers of domain registrars
to request that they implement this, and to cite it as
a problem when publically reviewing registrars. For
example, my registrar has their own API, but that's all.
When asked to add support for RFC7344, they say they'll
consider it. The more customers who ask for it, the
better (I hope). And now that DNSSEC is so much easier
to use than in the past, maybe more people will start
asking for RFC7344.

cheers,
raf