Behavior of port tag in options clause is ambiguous

Vikas Sharma er.sharmavikas at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 09:06:43 UTC 2022

Thanks Ondrej and Clark for quick reply,
i have gone through the documentation and really its very well written,

bind version used : 9.18.3
notification message = Zone Change Notification

referring to part of the option clause from the original mail .

         port 15010;
         listen-on port 15010 { 127.0.0.1; };
         also-notify {
                 10.1.2.4 port 53;
                 10.1.2.5 port 53;
         };

here i have  listen-on port 15010 { 127.0.0.1; }  this means primary DNS is
listening on port 15010,
in also notify section i have secondary DNS server IP and port 53
also-notify {

                 10.1.2.4 port 53;                       #=> notify should
go on port 53 to secondary DNS
                 10.1.2.5 port 53;
         };

so based on also-notify configuration primary DNS should send all
notifications to Secondary DNS on dest port 53.

now after adding port 15010; notifications are now going to secondary DNS
on port 15010 also whereas notification on port 53 are also taking place.
so this behaviour is expected?
Port 15010 is neither completely overriding port 53 in also-notify nor port
15010 is ignored while sending notification to secondary DNS.

and if all notification messages to dest port 15010 are dropped on
secondary DNS, is there any impact?

as per Clark's explanation "port number the server uses to receive and
*send* DNS protocol traffic".
then bind should use dest port 15010 for all notification to secondary DNS
but notification is going to port 53 as well.

So when port 15010 will be used and when port 53 will be used while sending
notification to secondary DNS?

*BR,*

*Vikas Sharma*