What is the meaning of an ecs log

Greg Choules gregchoules+bindusers at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 8 08:25:11 UTC 2022

Hi Mik.
The Client Subnet in DNS Queries <https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc7871> RFC
should explain all.
Essentially there are two masks in the ECS option - source prefix length
and scope prefix length.
ECS-enabled recursive servers (like Google or BIND -S edition) will set the
source prefix length to whatever has been configured; in this case /24. But
they MUST set the scope prefix length to zero because this field is
intended for use by an ECS enabled authoritative server to signal (in its
response) the prefix to which it applies.

I hope that helps.
Cheers, Greg