forwarder cache

Hamid Maadani hamid at dexo.tech
Thu Dec 1 16:57:07 UTC 2022

> Yes, you were and still are - yet again, you don't give us full picture and
> you are guessing what might be wrong.> And yet this quickly turned from "why does cache doesn't work" into "I'm developing DLZ module and it doesn't work as expected".
> No, it's a waste of time if you don't tell the whole picture and selectively pick information that you think is relevant.
> If you want help, don't do that. You don't have to "dump all data", but telling the whole story would likely lead to a positive result much quicker. You are asking people to help you for free, so you need to do your homework properly.
You keep accusing me of censorship, like developing a DLZ is military work!
Feels childish at this point. Would be counter productive to keep it up.
> Now the important part we haven't heard yet...
> How do the DNS responses (full messages) from NS2 that are not being cached look like?
Oh yes, let's spill the state secrets.
Here is the answer I get from NS2, which provides data from the DLZ:

/ # dig A test.com -p 153 @127.0.0.1

; <<>> DiG 9.18.9 <<>> A test.com -p 153 @127.0.0.1
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1
;; WARNING: recursion requested but not available

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 1232
; COOKIE: 615bd381af736012010000006388d58f953e68e0a4def2c0 (good)
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;test.com. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
test.com. 0 IN A 10.10.10.10

;; Query time: 114 msec
;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#153(127.0.0.1) (UDP)
;; WHEN: Thu Dec 01 16:25:51 UTC 2022
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 82

I can see "AUTHORITY: 0" in the answer, and now I understand NS1 does not cache this because of that (did not know only authority 1 answers are cached when I sent the initial email. How did you expect me to ask the question in the first place? Is that documented somewhere btw?)
My question still stands: shouldn't NS2 answer with AUTHORITY: 1, regardless of DLZ or local-file backend, since the definition for the zone is as below?

dlz XDB {
 database "dlopen /usr/lib/bind/dlz_mongodb_mod.so <MongoDB URI> 0";
 search no;
};

zone "test.com" {
 type master;