BIND >= 9.18, jemalloc and EL7

Anand Buddhdev anandb at ripe.net
Thu Aug 25 18:05:26 UTC 2022

Hi Ondřej

Thank you for this explanation. I note that none of the official ISC
BIND packages for EL7 and EL8 link against jemalloc, even though the
documentation recommends it.

The jemalloc folks have deemed 3.6 as stable, and that's why it's the
latest version in EPEL7. For EPEL8 and EPEL9, the jemalloc folks deemed
version 5.2.1 as stable, and that's what's available.

I suppose that on this basis, it *should* be okay to build and use BIND
with jemalloc on all these versions. However, I will give this some more
thought for our own RPMs, and see what we want to do. I'm leaning
towards building without jemalloc for EL7, and with for EL8 and EL9.

Regards,
Anand