isc python module

White, Peter pwhite at penguinrandomhouse.com
Tue Aug 16 12:21:27 UTC 2022

I don’t mean to hijack the thread, but I think this is related. I also use the BIND python modules. In particular, I'm using it to update my catalog zones as described here: https://kb.isc.org/docs/aa-01401

This document has several references to BIND 9.18 without any mention of the BIND python module being deprecated. What am I missing? I hope this helps...

On 8/16/22, 8:12 AM, "bind-users on behalf of Petr Špaček" <bind-users-bounces at lists.isc.org on behalf of pspacek at isc.org> wrote:

    On 16. 08. 22 12:46, BÖSCH Christian wrote:
    >      >> So my question is whether the isc python module no longer exists, and
    >      >> whether there is an alternative?
    >      >
    >      > Please see release notes for 9.18.0, section Removed Features:
    >      >
    >      >https://bind9.readthedocs.io/en/v9_18_5/notes.html#removed-features
    >      >
    >      > Besides other things it links to copy of the library, (which is formally
    >      > not supported outside of BIND 9.16, to be clear).
    >
    >      Correcting myself:
    >      The isc Python module is formally supported only as part of BIND 9.16
    >      codebase.
    >
    > Thanks Petr for your response.
    > And if the module is no longer supported is there no replacement or any other possibility
    > to deal with ansible or scripting the rndc commands?

    I'm not sure what "deal with Ansible" exactly mean :-) ISC does not and
    did not provide an Ansible module, I believe, so in that respect nothing
    has changed - use whatever third party software you were using before.

    The rndc protocol is not evolving at the moment, so it should be
    unlikely we break the compatibility in near future.

    Does it answer your question?

    --
    Petr Špaček