Notice of plan to deprecate map zone file format

Ondřej Surý ondrej at isc.org
Fri Sep 10 20:00:17 UTC 2021

I am just going to point out that the 10 second speed up was measured on .net zone. Thus the calculations provided below have no practical impact because if anybody is loading 100k .net-sized zones on a single server they will have a different problem that the loading speed…

The goal of the initial email was to get feedback from serious users of the feature (if there are any). It seems that I need to say that we constantly look and work on improving BIND 9, and while we are going to drop the map masterfile format, the ad how internal benchmarks already show significant speed up when loading many zones between 9.11 and 9.16.

The map masterfile format was a smart idea at the time, but it’s extremely fragile, and it’s not a good use of the engineering time to spend time caring about it. I would rather make BIND 9 faster for everybody than fine tune extreme edge case.

Ondrej
--
Ondřej Surý — ISC (He/Him)

My working hours and your working hours may be different. Please do not feel obligated to reply outside your normal working hours.