Notice of plan to deprecate map zone file format

Timothe Litt litt at acm.org
Fri Sep 10 17:43:48 UTC 2021

I'm not a consumer of this and agree that it's up to users to speak up,
so I'll stop here - with one final observation.

The issue comment containing the benchmarks includes:

> Speedup provided by the |map| format does not seem significant enough
> to warrant the complexity of map format, especially when we take into
> account that the difference measured in terms of "real time" is in
> order of 10s of seconds.
10s of seconds *per zone* can certainly add up.  Call it 10 secs/zone *
100,000 zones = 1M sec / 3600 = 278 hrs *saved*.

Suppose loading zones is not disk limited, and cores scale linearly
(e.g. no lock conflicts & an index lets each core find a zone to work on
for free).  So give it 16 cores (each taking on one complete zone), and
it's still 17 hrs saved.  Real life won't be that efficient - meaning
cores won't help that much.

A new memory mapped data structure that didn't require "updating node
pointers" (e.g. that used offsets instead of pointers) may be worth
considering.  In current hardware and with a decent compiler and coding,
the apparent cost of this over absolute pointers may well be vanishingly
small.

OK, that was two.

Timothe Litt
ACM Distinguished Engineer