Choosing A records based on hosts' load?

Giles Coochey giles at coochey.net
Mon Jan 18 09:27:10 UTC 2021

On 18/01/2021 09:20, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:

> This is not problem for BIND nor for DNS. Due to DNS caching it won't
> work properly and if you shorten the TTLs, at
> first DNS issue it will fail globally.

Sometimes, rather than explain all the issues (and there are many!) that
you will encounter trying this method, I think it is better to just give
someone the tools (with a warning), and let them discover all the
problems for themselves. People are often set in their ways to trying to
achieve something, and the only way to convince them that it is not good
practice is to give them the tools to attempt it, and let them discover
why it doesn't work as they expected.
> Install some load balancers in front of those servers.

Yes - that is the best option.

--
Giles Coochey