[External] OT: How to Easily Set Up a Full-Featured Linux Mail Server on Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS with iRedMail 1.4.0

Kevin A. McGrail kmcgrail at pccc.com
Tue Apr 27 16:24:11 UTC 2021

On 4/27/2021 12:14 PM, Grant Taylor via bind-users wrote:
>> and change resolve.conf to 127.0.0.1 for the best RBL performance.
>
> How much effective performance difference does the loopback interface
> (lo) vs the local LAN interface (eth0) make?
>
> Similarly, how much effective performance difference does an on host
> instance of BIND make vs across the LAN to another host in the same
> site make?
>
> I absolutely agree that a /local/ /to/ /the/ /network/ caching DNS
> server is a boon for email.  --  Definitely avoid simply relying on
> big 3rd party resolvers across the Internet.

Agreed on the OT and good subject change.

For me, I wouldn't bind DNS to the eth0, just another attack surface
hence I would use local loopback.

Having a DNS on the lan is good too but caching on any mail server is
good.  There are a lot of DNS queries for email and anti-spam.

But the key takeaway is don't use something like quad-8.

Regards,

KAM

--

	*Kevin A. McGrail*
/CEO Emeritus/
	+1.703.798.0171 		kmcgrail at pccc.com
	 https://pccc.com/ 		https://raptoremailsecurity.com

	10311 Cascade Lane, Fairfax, Virginia 22032-2357 USA