OT: How to Easily Set Up a Full-Featured Linux Mail Server on Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS with iRedMail 1.4.0

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Tue Apr 27 16:14:06 UTC 2021

BIND-Users on topic content first:

> #1 bind for a local caching DNS query server

I absolutely agree.

> and change resolve.conf to 127.0.0.1 for the best RBL performance.

How much effective performance difference does the loopback interface
(lo) vs the local LAN interface (eth0) make?

Similarly, how much effective performance difference does an on host
instance of BIND make vs across the LAN to another host in the same site
make?

I absolutely agree that a /local/ /to/ /the/ /network/ caching DNS
server is a boon for email.  --  Definitely avoid simply relying on big
3rd party resolvers across the Internet.

Aside:  The rest of my reply gets to ride along and would not have been
sufficient for a reply in and of itself because I believe it's off topic
for BIND-Users.

On 4/27/21 7:55 AM, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:
> Very nice.

It's interesting.  It's a recent take on one of many ways to host your
own email.

> This was also posted on Postfix's list but nice to hear firsthand
> reports as I just read it.

I saw this message splattered to a number of mailing lists, many of
which I think the message (content) was rather off topic for the list.
E.g. what does it have to do with the BIND DNS server installation,
configuration, and operation, other than the fact that email usually
relies heavily on DNS service (implementation independent).

> Two minor notes to continue the project that you might consider:
>
> #1 bind for a local caching DNS query server

(See above.)

> #2 add the KAM ruleset: https://mcgrail.com/template/projects#KAM1

To each their own.

Email administration is a massive topic in and of itself, which is
probably better discussed elsewhere.

I appreciate the recent, as in not months ~> years old article
encouraging people to host their own email.  Though I personally
disagree with it or would do things a fair bit differently.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die