BIND Masters and slaves

Gregory Sloop gregs at sloop.net
Mon Jun 15 19:33:30 UTC 2020

This whole discussion seems so misguided.
The TLDR; version, at least for me is;
Does it really cost you that much to use language that's polite and kind to those around you, and change that language to live up to those ideals when you can?

Sure you _have the right_ to run down the street and yell impolite/angry/mysoginistic epithets and racial insults at those around you.

But rather than focusing on _your rights_, how about spending a few minutes considering how you'd feel if people did equally insensitive things to your mom, you sister, your wife, or your best friend.

When viewed from that perspective, the "outrage" at not using/changing terms like master/slave in BIND seem, at least to my mind, kind of hyperbolic.

You can call it politically correct, but I generally like to call it "being nice" or "polite" or "kind."
When did it suddenly become so wrong to be gentle, kind and caring? [That's a rhetorical question, so no need to "answer" it.]

The BIND and DHCP lists have historically been incredible lists for really polite and helpful people over the many years I've subscribed and participated. IME, these lists have been far superior to nearly any other lists I've been a part of. Super helpful. Really nice people> Super respectful. Totally awesome. I'm nearly always chuffed to see the behavior here.

I hope that continues.