[DoD Source -- ssshhhh Top Secret] Re: Dumb Question is an A or AAAA record required?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Thu Jul 9 15:03:29 UTC 2020

Am 09.07.20 um 16:57 schrieb Michael De Roover:
> You do have control over that..

i have, but not everybody has

> kind of. As far as I'm aware hosting
> providers generally offer control over PTR records in their admin
> panels.

but it still has nothing to do with your domain by definition, the PTR
could be anything

> However delegation of them to your own authoritative name
> servers is.. complicated. A lot more so than delegation of forward
> lookups would be anyway (A, AAAA, MX, yada yada). Apparently the hosting
> provider would have to delegate (as far as I understand it's like
> sharing?) control over just that/those IP(s), and remember to revoke it
> after you leave their hosting services too. See
> https://www.arin.net/resources/manage/reverse or
> https://www.ripe.net/manage-ips-and-asns/db/support/configuring-reverse-dns
> for more information... But I don't understand this part very well myself.

the ptr-zone of our /24 rnage is delegated to my nameserver for many
years, you just need to talk to the guys far after "customer support"

> Whichever methods are available, for email in particular it's advisable
> to publish a PTR record of some kind. IRC networks may also ask to do
> this before they apply your domain as your vhost (and A and PTR have to
> match). On Freenode at least they do.

i know that all, thanks

but how does that change anything in the simple fact that "Would the
lack of A records affect pointer records? Seems like it would" given
that the PTR zone is a dns zone like anything else