[DoD Source -- ssshhhh Top Secret] Re: Dumb Question is an A or AAAA record required?

Michael De Roover isc at nixmagic.com
Thu Jul 9 14:57:16 UTC 2020

You do have control over that.. kind of. As far as I'm aware hosting
providers generally offer control over PTR records in their admin
panels. However delegation of them to your own authoritative name
servers is.. complicated. A lot more so than delegation of forward
lookups would be anyway (A, AAAA, MX, yada yada). Apparently the hosting
provider would have to delegate (as far as I understand it's like
sharing?) control over just that/those IP(s), and remember to revoke it
after you leave their hosting services too. See
https://www.arin.net/resources/manage/reverse or
https://www.ripe.net/manage-ips-and-asns/db/support/configuring-reverse-dns
for more information... But I don't understand this part very well myself.

On my own hosting provider it appears that I can adjust the PTR records
on their admin interface, however I can't delegate it to my own name
servers.. since it's apparently a rather manual process. And I'm
probably not paying my hosting provider enough for that.

Whichever methods are available, for email in particular it's advisable
to publish a PTR record of some kind. IRC networks may also ask to do
this before they apply your domain as your vhost (and A and PTR have to
match). On Freenode at least they do.

--
Met vriendelijke groet / Best regards,
Michael De Roover