Dumb Question is an A or AAAA record required?

Matthew Richardson matthew-l at itconsult.co.uk
Thu Jul 9 14:06:27 UTC 2020

On a related issues there were (perhaps long ago) issues if the A record
for a domain had an SMTP server on it, where email could sometimes be
delivered to that A record rather than the MX.  I had (again long ago:
10-15 years) actually seen this occur.

Do people think that this problem could still occur these days?  What sort
of transient (presumably DNS) failure might cause an SMTP server to deliver
to A rather than MX?

Best wishes,
Matthew

 ------