"overlay" views

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Mon Jan 20 13:28:37 UTC 2020

I'm really not sure about what the name of this feature I am going to
describe would be.  I would probably call it an "overlay view".  But I
am sure there are better names.

Imagine I have a BIND 9 server for the following network topology:

Network 1
192.168.1.0/24           ------------------------
-------------------------|.254                  |
                         |       Router         |
Network 2                |                      |
192.168.2.0/24           |                      |
-------------------------|.254                  |
                         |                      |
Network 3                |                      |
192.168.3.0/24           |                      |
-------------------------|.254                  |
                         ------------------------

There are a few dozen hosts/services on Network 3 which hosts from
Network 1 and Network 2 need to resolve names of.  All pretty
straightforward.

But the hosts on Network 1 and Network 2 need to resolve the same name
(let's call it "gateway") to the address of their interface on Router.
So that is, hosts on Network 1 want a query of "gateway." to resolve to
192.168.1.254 and hosts on Network 2 want a query of "gateway." to
resolve to  192.168.2.254.

So this is currently all achievable through "views" in BIND 9, but
requires that the zone data for each view be 98% duplicate (Network 3
resources) and continually copy-n-paste updated whenever names on
Network 3 are added.

What I am looking for is a way to save the duplicate copying of Network
3 resources to the views for Network 1 and Network 2.  This is where
the term "overlay" comes in.  What I'd like to do is reference a single
copy of data from Network 3 in Network 1 and 2's views but "overlay"
some view-specific resources on top of that, namely the "gateway."
name, with it's per-view specific value.

Thoughts?

b.