AW: Unable to completely transfer root zone

von Dein, Thomas Thomas.vonDein at f-i-ts.de
Fri Feb 14 09:32:04 UTC 2020

I've got one follow-up question:

As reported we were unable to transfer the root zone for 1 week, then the expire time was over and we had an outage. Now we've seen in the logs many many log entries as the following on slave nameservers during that week when our local copy were still valid but the transfer was failing:

09-Jan-2020 16:24:23.361 edns-disabled: success resolving 'some-random-hostname.some-domain.de/A' (in '.'?) after reducing the advertised EDNS UDP packet size to 512 octets

Besides the EDNS problem: it says (in '.'?). What does this mean?

The setup is like this:

Proxy dmz with local forwarding bind => internet bind => internet

The error above occurred on the forwarding bind in the proxy dmz.

best regards,
Tom