NAT and Question Section Mismatch

John Wiles john at iotis.org
Fri Apr 17 20:26:17 UTC 2020

Hello all,

I am running into a problem that I think is caused by either a misconfiguration in Bind9, our Cisco NAT, or perhaps both.

The scenario:

We host our own sites locally, including internal and external DNS. The external dns servers are delegated for reverse lookups. The NAT is a static one.

When I am on our internal network, I am able to query both servers and get the appropriate external ip address. However, when I try to do the same thing externally I get "Question section mismatch: got 6.1.1.10.in-addr.arpa/PTR/IN."

Some online tools will resolve the public ip to the appropriate hostname, but they will also show the ip as 10.1.1.6. Normally this wouldn't be an issue except that I think it is the reason for some emails not being delivered.

Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated.

John