Enabling/using ECS feature in BIND 9.16.1

Dawood Sajjadi s.d.sajjadi at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 16:54:01 UTC 2020

Hi everyone,

I have compiled successfully bind-9.16.1 from its source code
(bind-9.16.1.tar.xz) and configured to function as a DNS resolver by
following the instructions presented in
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/server/bind.html
---
[root@ bind]# named -V
BIND 9.16.1 (Stable Release) <id:d497c32>
running on Linux x86_64 3.8.13-118.20.3.el7uek.x86_64 #2 SMP Fri Feb 23
13:52:32 PST 2018
built by make with '--prefix=/usr' '--sysconfdir=/etc'
'--localstatedir=/var' '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--with-libtool'
'--disable-static'
compiled by GCC 4.8.5 20150623 (Red Hat 4.8.5-16.0.3)
compiled with OpenSSL version: OpenSSL 1.0.2k-fips  26 Jan 2017
linked to OpenSSL version: OpenSSL 1.0.2k-fips  26 Jan 2017
compiled with zlib version: 1.2.7
linked to zlib version: 1.2.7
threads support is enabled

default paths:
  named configuration:  /etc/named.conf
  rndc configuration:   /etc/rndc.conf
  DNSSEC root key:      /etc/bind.keys
  nsupdate session key: /var/run/named/session.key
  named PID file:       /var/run/named/named.pid
  named lock file:      /var/run/named/named.lock
---

the named configuration file that I am using is as follows:
---
options {
    directory "/etc/named";
    pid-file "/var/run/named.pid";
    statistics-file "/var/run/named.stats";
    allow-query     { any; };
    recursion yes;
};
zone "." {
    type hint;
    file "root.hints";
};
zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" {
    type master;
    file "pz/127.0.0";
};

// Bind 9 now logs by default through syslog (except debug).
// These are the default logging rules.

logging {
    category default { default_syslog; default_debug; };
    category unmatched { null; };
  channel default_syslog {
      syslog daemon;                      // send to syslog's daemon
                                          // facility
      severity info;                      // only send priority info
                                          // and higher
  };
  channel default_debug {
      file "named.run"  versions 3;       // write to named.run in
                                          // the working directory
                                          // Note: stderr is used instead
                                          // of "named.run"
                                          // if the server is started
                                          // with the '-f' option.
      severity dynamic;                   // log at the server's
      print-time yes;                     // current debug level
  };
  channel default_stderr {
      stderr;                             // writes to stderr
      severity info;                      // only send priority info
                                          // and higher
  };
  channel null {
      null;                               // toss anything sent to
                                        // this channel
  };
};
---
The main reason that I am trying to use bind 9.16.1 is using EDNS Client
Subnet (ECS) feature to pass the DNS client subnet information to an
authoritative DNS or DNS server with geoip-enabled feature. To test this, I
run the following command on my server, but the response it not what I
expected. However, when I replace 127.0.0.1 with google's resolver
(8.8.8.8), it returns the correct answer.

$ dig +short +subnet=81.169.181.179/24 -t txt whereami.geotest2.XXXXXX.net.
@127.0.0.1

I was wondering is there anything that might be missed during the
compile/build process or setting the parameters in the named configuration
file? Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
Dawood