Debian/Ubuntu: Why was the service renamed from bind9 to named?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Wed Apr 15 07:59:14 UTC 2020

Am 15.04.20 um 09:42 schrieb Klaus Darilion:
> [...]

not over a long time outsuide the LTS world because nobody will maintain
it (besides that it's not the main point of my last message) and how
does that fix your wrong assumption "in my opinion it is not sane to
call a service/package httpd if the name of the software is Apache"

we are using httpd on backends and trafficserver as reverse proxy - who
of both apache projects is listening when i scream "apache" to my servers?

> It is very very sane to have the version number in the package, and a package without version number pointing to the newest version. Eg. this is how the Linux kernel is handled in Debian/Ubuntu

well, than complain at your distribution

given that your mails are landing in the nic.at folder (we are a
registrar) and i know that nic.at normally has a very good technical
expertise i guess you are new there

may i ask you talk to your seniors how and where to complain about
distribution level changes and besides you are at the wrong list it's
nothing easier than make your owen overrides and aliases with
systemd-dropins so that you can call "systemctl
relaod/restart/start/stop" with whatever name you like no matter how the
distribution is calling the service

that's far quicker implemented and deployed even before you deploy the
update itself as it took to write your initial mail