AW: Debian/Ubuntu: Why was the service renamed from bind9 to named?

Klaus Darilion klaus.darilion at nic.at
Wed Apr 15 07:42:46 UTC 2020

Why not? With postgresql it is very common. You have postgresql-X and a meta package pointing to the newest version. That's propapbly not what "every distribution" does, but how a good distribution like Debian and Ubuntu does it.

It is very very sane to have the version number in the package, and a package without version number pointing to the newest version. Eg. this is how the Linux kernel is handled in Debian/Ubuntu.

What about python? Only a single python interpreter is allowed with your good distros? In Debian you have all oft hem installed at the same time - this is a very very good approach!

But as you have missed again - I do not complain about the version number, but that a "winning team" was changed without seeing a problem.

regards
Klaus