search and ndots support in bind utilities

Paul Kosinski bind at iment.com
Mon Sep 30 16:55:27 UTC 2019

Following https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/sac-064-en.pdf,
it sounds like modest groups of Internet users (such as informal clubs)
that don't have their own official domain (like "iment.com") are out of
luck if they would like to have local subdomains -- unless they want to
use the quite misleading reserved TLD "test", that is.

It's really too bad that the committee that expanded the space of TLDs
weren't as farsighted as those who allocated the IPv4 addresses to
include non-routable ones for local (intra-LAN) use.

P.S. Note that the domain implied by the PTR lookup result of such a
group's external IP address, although unique, is usually not suitable.
Most can change without notice due to DHCP, and they also tend to be
something unworkable, like "c-66-31-152-1.hsd1.ma.comcast.net.".