search and ndots support in bind utilities

Paul Ebersman list-bind-users at dragon.net
Mon Sep 30 15:35:57 UTC 2019

pemensik> I am aware search is a no-no in DNS community. However, is
pemensik> there any public documentation to this change? Is there RFC
pemensik> recommending not to use search or how it should be used,
pemensik> related to today's top level domains?

pemensik> While I agree it is dangerous, there are still people using
pemensik> it. I think we should point them at some document, explaining
pemensik> what are possible dangers. How to use it safe way or how to
pemensik> avoid using it at all.

See ICANN SSAC doc 64:

  <https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/sac-064-en.pdf>

It goes into detail on why search/suffix lists are a bad idea.