Delegation not working from slave.

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Tue Oct 8 12:38:33 UTC 2019

On 04.10.19 17:44, John Robson via bind-users wrote:
>I think I've missed something very obvious...

apparently

>I don't think that the main DNS server was behaving sensibly in terms of
>recursive searches.
>I've now had the main DNS servers also act as slaves, and it's all working.

and while you haven't fixed the problem which you didn't even describe
properly, you have worked aropund it.
It may return and hit you back, again, even harder.

maybe you should describe it more deeply.

>My understanding (which may have been presented in a confused manner in
>earlier emails)
>Master (hosts zone file) Slave (transfers from master)

slave hosts the zone too.

>Delegation - one dns server pointing at the NS for the next subdomain down.

no, delegation is not dns server pointing. It's the zone having NS records
for subzone.

I can guess you failed to do this, so while your master knows where the
subzone is, slave does not.

>On Fri, 4 Oct 2019 at 03:57, Grant Taylor via bind-users <
>bind-users at lists.isc.org> wrote:
>
>> On 10/2/19 5:45 AM, John Robson via bind-users wrote:
>> > Again - I am sure I've missed something obvious, but can't see what.
>>
>> I'm not completely following what you're doing.  But your wording causes
>> me to pause, make a comment, and ask for clarification.
>>
>> Comment:  slave (and master) is not the same thing as delegation.
>>
>> Question:  Is dns.example.org delegating sub.example.org to
>> myserver.example.org?  Or is myserver.example.org a slave for some zone
>> (which I can't clearly extract from your message)?

Windows 2000: 640 MB ought to be enough for anybody