Delegation not working from slave.

John Robson jrobson at zenoss.com
Fri Oct 4 16:44:30 UTC 2019

I think I've missed something very obvious...

I don't think that the main DNS server was behaving sensibly in terms of
recursive searches.
I've now had the main DNS servers also act as slaves, and it's all working.

Cheers,

John

My understanding (which may have been presented in a confused manner in
earlier emails)
Master (hosts zone file) Slave (transfers from master)
Delegation - one dns server pointing at the NS for the next subdomain down.

On Fri, 4 Oct 2019 at 03:57, Grant Taylor via bind-users <
bind-users at lists.isc.org> wrote:

> On 10/2/19 5:45 AM, John Robson via bind-users wrote:
> > Again - I am sure I've missed something obvious, but can't see what.
>
> I'm not completely following what you're doing.  But your wording causes
> me to pause, make a comment, and ask for clarification.
>
> Comment:  slave (and master) is not the same thing as delegation.
>
> Question:  Is dns.example.org delegating sub.example.org to
> myserver.example.org?  Or is myserver.example.org a slave for some zone
> (which I can't clearly extract from your message)?
>

> --
> Grant. . . .
> unix || die

*John Robson Sr. Customer Support Engineer**, Zenoss
<https://www.zenoss.com/>*
jrobson at zenoss.com | *O:*

<https://www.zenoss.com>