Log rolling stopped working in 9.11.12 ?

John Thurston john.thurston at alaska.gov
Tue Nov 19 21:16:10 UTC 2019

On 11/19/2019 8:34 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:
> Am 19.11.19 um 18:23 schrieb John Thurston:
>> A) Should I expect these file permissions be altered by a minor update?
>> I know I started at 9.11.8 and have updated to 9.11.9 and 9.11.10
>> without seeing this behavior.
>
> yes, every by a package owned directory or file has it's permissions in
> the rpm database and they are ensured everytime a package get updated

I am certain I didn't need to reapply those file permissions with my
earlier version updates. But if this is the expected behavior with each
update, then that experience was an outlier. I will explore relocating
my logs to a location not affected by package updates.

Thank you for the information and insight.

> which is why we don't need to reinstall our Linux boxes all the time
> when things become messy over the years

I find this somewhat humorous I have recently started using linux. I am
amazed how often the operating system changes radically, and how short
the support windows are . . . when compared to the Solaris environment
we are turning off.

John Thurston    907-465-8591
John.Thurston at alaska.gov
Department of Administration