isc-bind-esv Repository - "yum update" doing undesirable things!

Dennis Clarke dclarke at blastwave.org
Thu May 9 03:17:24 UTC 2019

On 5/8/19 11:06 PM, Greg Rivers wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 8, 2019 1:49:38 PM CDT Matthew Richardson wrote:
>> I have been using the isc-bind-esv repository on Centos 7 since it was
>> created.  On each upgrade, a "yum update" has done the correct thing by
>> upgrading from the running version to the latest version.
>>
>> Today (happily on a cloned test server!) I repeated this with the upgrade
>> being from 9.11.6 to 9.11.6.P1-1.2.el7.
>>
>> It seems that the package names have changed and that Bind is now installed
>> in a new directory structure below /opt/isc.  In my case, a previously
>> working authoratitive configuration is now comprehensively broken.
>>
>> Before troubleshooting, I was wondering whether I had missed any release
>> notes or similar which might explain what is going on.
>>
> Probably ISC's new packages have installed a "Software Collection" to avoid
> conflicts with "native" packages. Read the scl(1) manual page for more
> information. To get a shell with the proper context to manage named, you'll
> need to run something like `scl enable isc-bind bash`. Or to run ad hoc
> commands, `scl enable isc-bind -- named -V`, etc.. And as you noticed, named's
> configuration and data are now under /opt/isc/isc-bind/.

If the old XPG4 and POSIX rules are to be at least paid some attention
then the config data should be under /etc/opt/isc/named and the software
binaries and libs stay in /opt/isc/named with logs going to the correct
/var/opt/isc/named. But those are old rules for ensuring separation from
the vendor OS.  With systemctl and other new paradigms then all manner
of oddball stuff may happen.

--
Dennis Clarke
RISC-V/SPARC/PPC/ARM/CISC