isc-bind-esv Repository - "yum update" doing undesirable things!

Greg Rivers gcr+bind-users at tharned.org
Thu May 9 03:06:53 UTC 2019

On Wednesday, May 8, 2019 1:49:38 PM CDT Matthew Richardson wrote:
> I have been using the isc-bind-esv repository on Centos 7 since it was
> created.  On each upgrade, a "yum update" has done the correct thing by
> upgrading from the running version to the latest version.
>
> Today (happily on a cloned test server!) I repeated this with the upgrade
> being from 9.11.6 to 9.11.6.P1-1.2.el7.
>
> It seems that the package names have changed and that Bind is now installed
> in a new directory structure below /opt/isc.  In my case, a previously
> working authoratitive configuration is now comprehensively broken.
>
> Before troubleshooting, I was wondering whether I had missed any release
> notes or similar which might explain what is going on.

Probably ISC's new packages have installed a "Software Collection" to avoid
conflicts with "native" packages. Read the scl(1) manual page for more
information. To get a shell with the proper context to manage named, you'll
need to run something like `scl enable isc-bind bash`. Or to run ad hoc
commands, `scl enable isc-bind -- named -V`, etc.. And as you noticed, named's
configuration and data are now under /opt/isc/isc-bind/.

--
Greg