bind and certbot with dns-challenge

Timothe Litt litt at acm.org
Sun Mar 17 18:24:21 UTC 2019

Named has options at the global, view and zone levels.  The 9.11 ARM
shows allow-update
in the options and zone statements.  If it's broken in 9.13 - note that
it is a "Developement Release".
So bugs are expected, and you should raise an issue on bind9-bugs or on
gitlab
(https://gitlab.isc.org/isc-projects/bind9/issues).

You can work around your issue by using 'include "my-common-stuff.conf";'
to simplify your configuration.  This is a useful strategy for things
that don't fit
the three-level model.

If you have large zones, you can speed up load time with
masterfile-format raw or map;
see the "tuning" section of the ARM for more information.

Parsing configuration data is unlikely to be the dominant factor in
startup, but I'm
sure that the developers would welcome a reproducible test case that
shows otherwise.

You should consider update-policy instead of allow-update; it provides
much better control
and better security.

> It is really very obvious that this is only done by
> ideologists, not technical oriented people.
Actually, I've found that the contributors to named are very technical,
practical people.
Sometimes they introduce bugs, or ideas that work in one context but not
another.
They're responsive to criticism & contributions.  But name-calling is
generally not an
effective way to get anyone to help you.

Timothe Litt
ACM Distinguished Engineer
if any, on the matters discussed.