bind and certbot with dns-challenge

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Sun Mar 17 17:40:51 UTC 2019

On 3/17/19 8:35 AM, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:
> In todays' internet this is no niche any more.

Oh, there most certainly are niches today.  I think there are more today
than there were before.

> And the right tool means mostly "yet-another-host" because you then need
> at least a cascade of two, one for dnsmasq and one for bind/named. A
> lot of overhead for quite a simple task...

No, you don't need another host.

  · You can do things on different ports and / or IPs on the same host.
  · You can use different BIND features to do exactly what you want in a
single daemon.  (See my previous email about RPZ / RPS / DLZ.)

> Shorter config = shorter load time. The semantic change of "allow
> update" alone leaves every setup with 1000 domains in a situation where
> 999 config statments more have to be read, interpreted and configured -
> just to end up in the same runtime setup.

See my previous email about load time.

TL;DR:  The config isn't the problem.  The zones are the problem.

> It is really very obvious that this is only done by ideologists, not
> technical oriented people.

I disagree.

I've seen similar breaking changes in other products for (usually) well
published / documented reasons.  Often times it's related to blocking
new more important features and / or problems maintaining legacy code
and / or security implications.

None of that is ideology.  That's program maintenance.

That being said, I don't know what is the case in the (broken) global
allow-updates issue that you're talking about.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die