2 Questions - forward zone and DNS firewalling

Kevin Darcy kevin.darcy at fcagroup.com
Fri Oct 26 14:52:17 UTC 2018

My basic rule of thumb is: use forwarding when connectivity constraints
require it. Those constraints may be architectural, e.g. a multi-tiered,
multi-layer network for security purposes, or may be the result of screwups
or unintended consequences, e.g. a routing blackhole. Use forwarding to get
around those blockages.

Now, if one thinks one can use forwarding for efficiency/performance
("forward first") as opposed to using it for connectivity ("forward only"),
then do so based on *documented* , *observed* evidence, not just on
assumptions or conjecture. A lot of folks just take for granted that
forwarding to a rich cache will speed up their lookups. Maybe it will,
maybe it won't -- MEASURE IT.

Also, bear in mind that while forwarding to a rich cache may help your
*best* case, and maybe your *average* case, it may hurt your *worst* case,
since in the case of a cache miss, you have your wasted forwarding attempt
*plus* however long it takes to fetch the data yourself. Your worst case is
going to be the one that causes apps to time out, support calls, tickets,
everyone blaming the DNS infrastructure, etc. You've been warned.

                                      - Kevin