2 Questions - forward zone and DNS firewalling

Bob Harold rharolde at umich.edu
Fri Oct 26 14:40:40 UTC 2018

On Thu, Oct 25, 2018 at 4:34 PM N6Ghost <n6ghost at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> have two questions first, I am not a huge fan of using forwarding zones
> and our "load balancing" team, has there zone delegated to them in a
> way that needs an internal forward zone to work properly on the inside
> and not rely on on internet POP.
>
> I want to move a core namespace to the load balancer but i want them to
> let me assign them a new zone thats internally authoritative and use it
> as the LB domain.
>
> which would be:
> cname name.domain.com -> newname.newzone.domain.com
>
> they want:
> cname name.domain.com -> newname.oldzone.domain.com
>
> old zone is directly delagated from outside to them so we need an
> internal forward zone for it. i dont want to rely on that.
>
> any thoughts on this? what can i use to present to management to win
> this?

The users should never see the domain that the CNAME points at, it is just
an internal name used by DNS.  If they can change where "
newname.oldzone.domain.com" points more easily than "
newname.newzone.domain.com" then they might have a valid reason to want
it.  Otherwise, newname.newzone.domain.com will be a faster and more
reliable choice.

Definitely avoid forwarding when possible.  It causes slower lookups and
more points of failure.  (There will occasional be times when it has some
advantage, or requirement.)

--
Bob Harold