need another pair of eyes: edu/net (educause?) glue issues?

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Thu Oct 19 11:56:23 UTC 2017

Michael Hare <michael.hare at wisc.edu> wrote:

> It appears that there is some bad glue "somewhere" and I'm having
> trouble finding where it is coming from.

This is a weird case. The .edu registry is semi-linked to the the
.com/.net registry in some way - I am vague about the details.

We're also dealing with a registry model that has separate host and domain
objects, which makes everything more confusing and full of awkward edge
cases.

We can use `whois` to find out something about these unwanted host
objects. The output below tells us that the .com/.net registry got the
host object from Educause, and that in the .edu registry the host isn't
linked to any domains.

$ whois -h whois.verisign-grs.net 'nameserver dns.scout.wisc.edu'

   Server Name: DNS.SCOUT.WISC.EDU
   IP Address: 144.92.170.199
   Registrar: Educause
   Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.educause.net
   Registrar URL: http://www.educause.edu/edudomain

$ whois -h whois.educause.edu 'host dns.scout.wisc.edu'

Hostname: DNS.SCOUT.WISC.EDU
IP Address: 144.92.170.199
Added: 8/19/2003 1:47:29 PM
Last Updated: 8/19/2003 1:47:29 PM

Domains in the .EDU namespace associated with this host:
     None

> My suspicious is that the glue stuck in gtld is supplied by educause
> however educause (who recently went through a major facelift of their
> portal, net.educause.edu) is claiming no such thing has ever existed.

Well, it doesn't look like that to me!

The difficulty might be due to the fact that these host objects don't have
any associated domain objects in the .edu registry.

Maybe (guessing wildly) if you have a sacrificial .edu domain you could
add these troublesome hosts as nameservers, which might give you control
over their glue addresses...

Tony.
Lundy, Fastnet: Cyclonic becoming northwest 7 to severe gale 9, backing
southwest 5 or 6 later. Rough or very rough. Occasional rain, fair later.
Good, occasionally poor.