RPZ zone name label length limit

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Thu Jun 29 18:14:43 UTC 2017

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1035#page-34

> If I want to check if the following name is legal or not, how many
> characters should I check for each label/section/part of the name?

63.

> (skip some labels).information.uzmzudseodc2fjpyi6mjcxndiymtuzmzufazdseyi6swh58fmodc2fjqxoc2fjp.(skip some labels)

Amusingly when I was trying this to see how long it is I found a bug in
iOS dig :-)

$ dig +noall +comment information.uzmzudseodc2fjpyi6mjcxndiymtuzmzufazdseyi6swh58fmodc2fjqxoc2fjp.com
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0
$ dig +noall +comment information.uzmzudseodc2fjpyi6mjcxndiymtuzmzufazdseyi6swh58fmodc2fjqxoc2fjpx.com
dig: 'information.uzmzudseodc2fjpyi6mjcxndiymtuzmzufazdseyi6swh58fmodc2fjqxoc2fjpx.com' is not a legal name (label too long)

Tony.
Lundy, Fastnet: Northwest 6 to gale 8. Moderate or rough, occasionally very
rough in far south. Occasional rain. Moderate or good.