RPZ zone name label length limit

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Thu Jun 29 14:04:39 UTC 2017

Jim Yang <zy33 at cornell.edu> wrote:

> What is the DNS name label length limit? As per RFC 1035, it is 63
> characters.  I tested a few DNS names that contains a label that is
> longer than 63 characters, and found that these records were
> successfully loaded in RPZ zone.

On the wire the length limit is 63. In presentation format some characters
have to be \escaped which can make the name up to four times longer.

Tony.
Plymouth: Northwest 5 to 7, occasionally gale 8 later. Moderate or rough,
occasionally very rough later in west. Occasional rain. Good, occasionally
moderate.