wildcard not working after record deleted

/dev/rob0 rob0 at gmx.co.uk
Tue Jun 20 14:29:59 UTC 2017

On Tue, Jun 20, 2017 at 09:17:58AM -0400, Maria Iano wrote:
> Thanks for your answer. There are no other records with that name
> in the zone, and an ANY query comes back empty but still with
> status of NOERROR. Unfortunately, I can't provide the query and
> zone data, and I do understand that prevents you from helping.
>
> I was hoping someone else had come across this at some point.

I can continue to waste our time with guesses, however. :)

Have you tried directed queries to an authoritative nameserver?
Today's guess is that you might be seeing some kind of caching issue.
A directed query like this:

$ dig sample.example.com. any @<auth-ns-IP-addr>

should return the wildcard if all records at "sample.example.com"
have been removed.

If in fact you were querying a caching resolver, is that BIND?  Is
the authoritative nameserver BIND?
--
  http://rob0.nodns4.us/