reverse dns configuration for IPV4, IPV6+ dns+ mail ?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Mon Jun 19 13:14:09 UTC 2017

Am 19.06.2017 um 15:00 schrieb Matus UHLAR - fantomas:

> these two are correct.

> this one is incorrect and my next comment applies only to this one:

does it harm? NO
is it easy to achive? YES
can it be used for scoring on a spamfilter? YES

>> anyways, with 2 PTR records for the same IP on servers with
>> http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#reject_unknown_client_hostname
>> you play lottery because one time it's logged as unknown and the other
>> time as matching, the unknown cases would trigger
>> reject_unknown_client_hostname
>
> Actually, this would only happen when one of the A/AAAA records didn't
> exist.
> Having two PTR records with valid A/AAAA would only confuse people because
> they could see different one each time client connects, but doesn't break
> anything (only dns-based acl's)

this NOT true for all cases

FRANKLY i have seen enough *real world* postfix rejects caused by
"check_reverse_client_hostname_access" because the idot on the other
side had "mail.example.com" AND the old
"my-provider-xx.xx.xx.xx-dyn.crap" PTR where one time
"check_reverse_client_hostname_access" was fine because it dealed with
the "mail.example.com" and the next mail was rejected by match
"my-provider-xx.xx.xx.xx-dyn.crap"

in all of these cases just remove the old useless generic PTR would have
solved the problem from the start

so please inform yourself and do tests.....