reverse dns configuration for IPV4, IPV6+ dns+ mail ?

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Mon Jun 19 13:00:25 UTC 2017

>>On 19.06.17 01:05, Reindl Harald wrote:
>>>it's nearly always misleading and results in randomness on the
>>>receiving server which name get logged and if A/PTR matches
>>>
>>>normally you should always have:
>>>
>>>* IP with *one* PTR
>>>* the A-Record for the PTR matches

these two are correct.

>>>* smtp_helo_name of your MTA matches the same name

this one is incorrect and my next comment applies only to this one:

>Am 19.06.2017 um 08:49 schrieb Matus UHLAR - fantomas:
>>Even this is not required. In fact, requiring this breaks SMTP RFC.
>>The only requirement on helo name is that host must exist and be canonical,
>>which means it has to point to A or AAAA record

there's no requirement that the HELO string matches the same name as PTR
and A/AAAA

IP -> PTR -> A/AAAA must match

HELO does NOT have to match IP -> PTR record. It only has to be resolvable
to A/AAAA.

On 19.06.17 11:25, Reindl Harald wrote:
>should != required
>it's best practice
>
>anyways, with 2 PTR records for the same IP on servers with
>http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#reject_unknown_client_hostname
>you play lottery because one time it's logged as unknown and the
>other time as matching, the unknown cases would trigger
>reject_unknown_client_hostname

Actually, this would only happen when one of the A/AAAA records didn't exist.
Having two PTR records with valid A/AAAA would only confuse people because
they could see different one each time client connects, but doesn't break
anything (only dns-based acl's)

which is the same I wrote above :)

>Yes, we know the SMTP specs say otherwise but they haven't been
>updated since bot spam became such a problem.

RFCs weren't update in last case above.

Linux - It's now safe to turn on your computer.
Linux - Teraz mozete pocitac bez obav zapnut.