reverse dns configuration for IPV4, IPV6+ dns+ mail ?

Mark Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Mon Jun 19 08:27:38 UTC 2017

Another solution could be to make one of the names a CNAME pointing to
the other name.

-or-

Just use one generic name for both services. rather than the two
"service" names.

Although in all honesty, I see nothing wrong with a lookup returning two
answers (in a single response packet)  for the one reverse query. BIND
certainly is not confused. I guess it confuses people?
I've written various scripts to do various DNS checks and have always
made (programmed for) this assumption - that there may be more than one
answer and there may also be CNAMEs involved. If other software is
confused - then perhaps it is badly written?

Some people do though, I believe, go overboard...
(dig  -x 41.185.8.21)

On 19/06/2017 09:51, Pierre Couderc wrote:
> On 06/19/2017 08:51 AM, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
>> On 19.06.17 08:03, Pierre Couderc wrote:
>>> Ok, thank you all, now I need to understand your answers...
>>
>> long story short:

>> quoting your original message:
>>> What should I put for IPV4 reverse address : if I put mail.xxx.com, the
>>> reverse address will not point on ns.xxx.com, and if put ns.xxx.com,
>>> the
>>> reverse dns will not point on mail.xxx.com, and I shall have mail
>>> problem.
>>
>> you will not have problem. who told you that?
>>
> Thnk you, but your way of shortening the story ignores the IPV6. bind
> and MTA are on différent computers, and different IPV6 addresses.
> If I do what you say reverse IP for DNS will point on mail.xxx.com and
> not on ns.xxx.com.

Mark James ELKINS  -  Posix Systems - (South) Africa
mje at posix.co.za       Tel: +27.128070590  Cell: +27.826010496