DDNS - limitation and excluding updates from certain networks

Philippe.Simonet at swisscom.com Philippe.Simonet at swisscom.com
Wed Dec 20 20:13:51 UTC 2017

Hi Hans

if you can afford, use ISC DHCP server DDNS method :

- only DHCP server is allowed to update DNS server (forward / reverse zone), protect NSUPDATE with ACL, or better tsig
- in dhcpd.conf :
	ddns-updates           on;
	ddns-update-style      interim;
	ignore                 client-updates;
- and, always in DHCPD.conf, set that only in the subnet you want.

the interim style use for each A record a TXT records to ensure that 'static' dns entries are not overwritten by dynamic (dhcp) client.

http://www.zytrax.com/books/dns/ch9/dhcp.html

Philippe