[Question] zone transfer issue with multiple views

Lightner, Jeffrey JLightner at dsservices.com
Fri Dec 8 13:33:38 UTC 2017

When we did it here we setup separate notify-source and transfer-source within the views on both the master and the slave.
view "internal" {
match-clients { internaldns; };
notify-source 10.9.9.8.;
transfer-source 10.9.9.8;
allow-transfer { dnsservers; };
...then our zones for internal view
Internaldns acl is one that we specify servers inside our network.
dnsserrvers acl is one that specifies the primary internal facing IP of the master and the slave

view "external" {
match-clients { any; };
notify-source 10.9.9.9;
transfer-source 10.0.9.9;
allow-transfer { dswadnsalias; };
...then our zones for external view
any allows external locations to query us (we have recursion turned off)
dswadnsalias  acl is one that specifies the alias IPs on the same NIC as the internal facing IP of the master and the slave

The IPs above would be on the master - you'd have separate IPs (but the same ACLs) on the slave.

You can create an alias IP on your primary NIC so for example here we have:
eth1 = 10.9.9.8
eth1:1 = 10.0.9.9
(In our config eth0 is the one we use for external facing traffic - eth1 is used for internal including zone transfers)