db.domainsurvey.isc.org 204.152.184.104 queries

David A. Evans Evans_David_A at cat.com
Mon Sep 26 18:45:02 UTC 2016

        I'm moving the authoritative servers for some of my V4 reverse
zones and have noticed 204.152.184.104 querying me for
180.x.x.x.in-addr.arpa over and over again.   Any given /24 combination
gets several queries per day for the 180 IP.   Across my class B's its
generating thousands queries per day which is not a big deal, but it
continues to query the old severs for days after the TTL's on the
delegation has expired.  Hence the reason it stuck out and I started
looking at it.

        I could only find sales email addresses listed for the "ISC Domain
Survey" data so I decided to try here.   Its not breaking anything, I just
found it ironic that ISC's data mining was not honoring the TTL's in the
reverse zone delegations.   Also, I found it annoying that they were
asking for the same reverse tens to hundreds of times over the course of
several days.

David Evans
Enterprise IP/DNS Management
Network Infrastructure Tools and Services