ThreatSTOP BIND DNS Firewall Available

John W. Blue john.blue at rrcic.com
Thu Oct 6 21:18:37 UTC 2016

So an item of note that I noticed is that the "quick start" guide:

http://www.threatstop.com/sites/default/files/threatstop_quickstart_guide.pdf

is more about getting the ThreatSTOP interface configured than an actual BIND DNS server.  It might be the day that I am having but it sure was a slog to read through it.  It also may be due to tunnel vision as the biggest question that I had was how does this service actually get enabled on BIND.  For anyone that is curious, the config of a BIND server can be found here:

http://dochub.threatstop.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=5079062

Personally, I prefer to zone transfer a blacklist but that is just me due to extra chatter/leakage/yadda-yadda-yadda.  I also found it interesting that while the trial signup page is HTTPS, if you want to upload a logfile for analyzing, that URL is just HTTP:

http://www.threatstop.com/checkip
http://www.threatstop.com/checklogs
http://www.threatstop.com/sinkhole

I know that HTTPS is not the end all, be all but common guys you are a security company.  As the phrase goes, "perception is reality" and something about having good form ..

John